Boat, armored car involved in 2 separate crashes on I-495
CLAYMONT, Del. - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say backed up traffic from one accident on I-495 in Claymont sent a second vehicle off the roadway Tuesday morning.
Authorities say the first accident happened a few minutes before 10:00 a.m. as DelDot workers were closing the ramp from southbound Philadelphia Pike to I-495 southbound.
A 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer driven by 36-year-old Mark Piselli of Swarthmore, Pa. was towing a boat and travelling southbound on I-495 as it approached the DelDot vehicles.
Police say as Piselli slowed down, the boat trailer began to sway and overturned, striking one of the DelDot vehicles.
The 56-year-old driver of the DelDot vehicle suffered a minor injury and was treated at Christiana Hospital.
Piselli was cited for careless driving.
The second accident involving a Garda armored vehicle happened shortly after the first crash. According to police, the driver of the armored vehicle braked and swerved to avoid traffic stopped in the backup from the first accident.
The armored vehicle slid off of the road and became stuck in the grass median.
No one was injured.
delaware, accident, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 44 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids