Dye pack explodes in Cheltenham bank robbery
CHELTENHAM TWP., Pa. - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have released surveillance pictures of the man who they say robbed a bank in Cheltenham Township on Sunday.
The robbery occurred at 12:51 p.m. at the Citizens Bank, located at 1000 S Easton Rd in the Cedarbrook Plaza.
According to police, after entering the bank the suspect approached the teller window and handed the employee a demand note which implied that he had a weapon.
The teller complied with the demands, handing over a bag of money. What the suspect didn't know is that the teller included a dye pack with the cash, and upon exiting the bank the pack exploded.
The suspect dropped the money bag as a result of the explosion and was last seen running north through the Plaza.
The suspect is described as a black male, 18-24 years of age, 5'7-5'9, 160 pounds, beard, tattoos on his left arm, and an ace bandage and glove on his right arm and hand. He was wearing a white baseball hat, black T-shirt, light colored shorts and head phones wrapped around his neck.
Police say the suspect purchased the ace bandage seen on his arm at Walmart shortly the robbery. He also entered a Modell's Sporting Goods store where he purchased a pair of sneakers and the white hat that he wore in the robbery.
Anyone with information pertaining to the identity or whereabouts of the suspect is urged to call authorities at 215-885-1600 ext 499 or submit a tip anonymously at ext 777.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, bank robbery, robbery, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!