Kermit Gosnell finally signs federal drug plea
PHILADELPHIA - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- After two false starts, a Philadelphia abortion doctor has signed off on a federal plea agreement over his distribution of OxyContin and other painkillers.
Dr. Kermit Gosnell is already serving life without parole in the deaths of three babies born alive at his Philadelphia clinic.
Authorities say the 72-year-old Gosnell ran a "pill mill" by day and a rogue "abortion mill" by night.
The investigation into his abortion practices came after federal agents raided the clinic over allegations he was flooding city streets with the widely abused painkillers.
Gosnell has twice come to federal court for a plea hearing, only to balk at the deal.
His lawyer, Jack McMahon, says Gosnell signed the latest plea agreement over the weekend, and is due in court for the plea on July 9.
dr. kermit gosnell, philadelphia, abortion, trial, pennsylvania, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 41 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 20 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 20 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 35 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases