Temple students react to interest rate increase
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Some Temple University student applied Tuesday for student loans at a time when interest rates on most new government loans are going up, in fact doubling from 3.4% to 6.8%, putting thousands of college students in a further financial bind.
The increase is for federally subsidized Stafford loans that go to students from low-income families.
"The change is on new loans that students will begin taking out for this coming year and will go into repayment sometime in the future," Craig Fennell of Temple University Student Financial Services said.
Many students like Dominique Fowler are terrified by what it means down the road when they're out of school.
"We already graduate with debt over our head without being able to find a job," Fowler said.
"I'm financially unstable at this time; college is rough to pay for me. I definitely will struggle much more to pay for it now," Temple student Evan Reed said.
Economist fear this hike in interest rates could lead to a rush of student loan defaults that would rival the recent home mortgage crisis.
"If you take an average $27,000 or so that a student is borrowing, graduating with at this point in time, that's a nationwide average, probably another $2,600 or $2,500 over the life of the loan," Fennell said.
"It's a lot of money. What can I do? I got to finish my education. I'm a continuing education so I have to finish," student Kim Gregory said.
It's up to Congress to change these interest rates back to 3.4%. Millions of American college students are depending on the U.S. Congress to help them out.
Congress is on an extended break for the July 4th holiday.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, temple, students, local/state, vernon odom
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 21 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 5 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 25 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 25 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 25 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
21 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
25 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
25 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
11 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos