Wawa Welcome America festival kicks off with Hoagie Day
PHILADELPHIA - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- The stage is up and the fun is well underway. Wawa Welcome America festivities are in full swing to celebrate Independence Day.
Thousands of people lined up for one thing Tuesday: a free hoagie.
"You get to have fun, and you get to eat, and it's really nice even though it's raining," said Janae Perez of Marlton, N.J.
Wawa Welcome America kicked off the week's festivities with Wawa Hoagie Day.
15,000 hoagies, about 4 and a half tons worth, were assembled Tuesday morning. 5,000 went to Philabundance to feed those in need.
The other 10,000 went to a massive crowd gathered for the festivities.
Hoagie Day was just the start. There are many more activities planned as part of the nation's birthday celebration.
The stage crews are pretty much done setting up on the Parkway for the 4th of July Jam and Fireworks. Lighting crews were on the top of the Philadelphia Art Museum steps putting in the lights for the show.
It's the largest free concert in America, featuring music for everyone.
The Roots with special guests John Mayer, Demi Lovato, Jill Scott, Ne-Yo, Grace Potter, J Cole and Ben Taylor will all take this stage later this week.
It's birthday fun, but also a moment to pause and remember those who've made freedom possible.
"What better way to celebrate?" said Wawa president Chris Gheysens. "Giving back to the heroes that they are, the troops."
For those in from out of town, the history here in Philadelphia is more than enough.
"Just amazing to see all the stuff," said Jeff Selter of Michigan.
"It makes me appreciate America more," said Ronda Selter.
philadelphia, welcome america, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police