Mixing the perfect wine and food
PHILADELPHIA - July 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- If you're up for a glass of wine, hundreds of Philadelphia establishments have something to accommodate you. A handful has dozens of choices.
Vintage Wine Bar always has a selection of sixty wines by the glass, plus a seasonal assortment of cheeses and a French bistro menu.
General manager Kate Moroney personally oversees the wine program. She's also very hands-on about the constantly changing selection of cheeses.
Weekend afternoons, Vintage offers a wine-and-cheese experience, three tasting-size glasses of wine and an assortment of four cheeses, accompanied by appropriate things like fruit.
It all changes by season and what looks good at the market, exactly what you'd expect from a bistro.
Weekdays, offerings are more a la carte, but there's always a cheese plate available and that big selection of wines. During the weekday happy hour4:00 to 6:00 pm,you may enjoy a glass of a house wine for $4.000 and sparkling wine or sangria for $5.00.
The most-expensive wine by the glass is prices at $16.00, not bad for top-of-the-menu these days.
If you're looking for something more substantial, you might select a bistro classic like coq au vin or pot au feu, whatever's seasonally-appropriate.
There's always a burger and a veggie burger. The staff likes to offer wine and cheese pairings, perhaps from a common point of origin, or not.
They try to take guests from the familiar to the unknown, so you're likely to leave knowing things you didn't when you entered. But while you're encouraged to rely on the expertise of the house, nothing is presented in an intimidating way. It's all about dining fun.
Vintage Wine Bar is located at 129 S. 13th Street, just below Chestnut n Center City. They're open weekdays from 4:00 pm to 2:00am and from 2:00pm to 2:00am weekends.
For more information, dial 215-922-3095, or access Vintage Wine Bar.
food, philadelphia, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 14 min ago
- 2 dead, others missing in NYC building explosion 11 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with meningitis-causing infection 20 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
12 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with...
20 min ago