Thieves using high-tech wireless device to break into NJ cars
GALLOWAY TWP, N.J. - July 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Galloway Township, New Jersey are looking for the thieves who've been breaking into cars.
It's happened about 30 times throughout the township, and this isn't a matter of a bandit busting a window. This is high-tech wireless thievery.
The rash of break-ins started last weekend. Police were out warning residents at one apartment complex Wednesday.
A high-end golf resort has also been hit. The general manager at that resort did not want to discuss the 10 cases he's had in the last 48 hours, two on Tuesday night alone.
The target has been quick-sale items like flat screen TVs, GPSs, iPods and cell phones.
But these burglaries are out of the ordinary.
"Generally they are unlocked vehicles. In the last week, we've been seeing all locked vehicles. No damage to the vehicle, no signs of forced entry. However, numerous items stolen out of the car, a lot of valuables people have left in their vehicle," said Detective Sergeant Donna Higbee.
Surveillance video from another city shows keyless thieves breaking into cars. They are using a radio frequency device, widely known as a code grabber, to silently unlock the vehicle and disable the alarm system.
It can be done in roughly 2 or 3 seconds. Police are seeing more and more of these cases from coast to coast.
"These thieves are using some sort of RF [radio frequency] device, which is sending an electronic signal toward the vehicles, unlocking the vehicle and disabling the alarm as well, allowing the thieves to enter the vehicle and remove valuables without being detected," said Detective Ryan Goehringer.
Police continue to inform residents about this burglary outbreak. They have so far not been warned by the complex management.
"When you leave your vehicle, don't leave any pocketbooks, wallets, because that opens up a whole other thing. Items can be replaced, but identify theft becomes a concern," said Higbee.
new jersey, robbery, local/state, vernon odom
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 13 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 28 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 26 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 18 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
51 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos