Body found in Pennypack Creek identified as Brandon Boyle
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - July 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators have positively identified the body found in Pennypack Creek on Thursday morning as that of missing 13-year-old swimmer Brandon Boyle.
The fire department said a walker saw the body around 6:30 a.m.
Brandon vanished while swimming with friends on Monday afternoon. He jumped off a bridge into the rain-swollen Pennypack and was swept over a dam.
Brandon's 11-year-old brother Anthony was also in the water but made it safely back to shore.
Anthony has told police he saw Brandon waving his arms before he disappeared.
Generations have grown up swimming in Pennypack Creek on hot summer days, but they've all been breaking the law. Swimming is prohibited there.
"We've all been there and done it, disobeyed our parents at one time or another, unfortunately, sometimes things like this happen," Brandon Boyle's cousin Christina Pale said.
Signs are posted, but they don't last.
"As quickly as they go up, they come down," Pale said.
Even where the signs remain up, they're routinely ignored.
"When I grew up down here, we swam in the same creek that this young boy was swimming in; it's a rite of passage," Bob Brookes of Northeast Philadelphia said. "He wasn't doing anything that a normal kid wouldn't be doing."
It is a grim search that has been seen many times before on this creek. 17 years ago, teenagers Nick Simonetti and Chris Busse drowned after they jumped from the same bridge.
Three years ago, a 20-year-old man also drowned there.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, water rescue, local/state
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 1 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
1 min ago