6 dead, 1 critical after fire in Lancaster, Pa.
LANCASTER, Pa. - July 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a house fire central Pennsylvania has left four people dead and one person critically injured.
The fire started in the kitchen of a three-story Lancaster duplex at about 3 a.m. after frozen potatoes were placed in the oven, fire officials said.
Officials say three of the victims were adults and three were children. A 2-year-old also remains in critical condition.
One victim was identified by fire authorities and a relative as the homeowner, 65-year-old Jimmie Moore.
"Rest in peace, Dad," one of Moore's daughters, Cyrena Brock, 34, told The (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal. "He was a hero to me."
Fourteen members of several families lived in the home, which didn't have smoke detectors, Gregg said. Fire crews got the flames under control in about an hour, he said.
Neighbors and relatives described Moore as a generous man and Vietnam War veteran who let another family move in after they lost their own housing.
"He was a very friendly man," neighbor Molly Lalla told the newspaper. "He would walk down the alley and say hi and wave. He brought a box of toys to my kids."
Ken Sheetz said Moore was the first one to welcome him to the block when he moved there.
"He was a caring person," Sheetz said. "He loved his family."
pennsylvania, lancaster county, fire, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 53 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 34 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
34 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
53 min ago