Driver attempts to hit officer with SUV in Egg Harbor Twp.
EGG HARBOR TWP., N.J. - July 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Egg Harbor Township Police are looking for a man who they say attempted to strike an officer with his SUV.
Authorities say 23-year-old Danny Roberts of Mays Landing was behind the wheel of a black SUV that was driving erratically on the Black Horse Pike Thursday afternoon.
It was approximately 4:16 p.m. when Officer Kevin Devlin attempted to stop the SUV in the area of English Creek Avenue. The SUV pulled to the side of the road, but instead of coming to a stop it allegedly accelerated to a high rate of speed, passing a number of vehicles on the shoulder of the road before fleeing westbound.
The officer did not pursue the vehicle due to the reckless nature of his driving, and instead ran the vehicle's registration.
Officer Devlin then responded to the address to which the vehicle is registered, on Primrose Court in the Woodlands, Hamilton Township. While checking the area for the vehicle, Devlin saw a black SUV coming in his direction, accelerating directly at him.
Police say the officer had to jump from the police motorcycle he was riding to avoid being struck. Luckily, Officer Devlin was not injured and was able to get back on his motorcycle.
The SUV was found abandoned a short distance away. The suspect, Danny Roberts, had fled on foot, and remains at large.
It was later learned that Roberts was picked up by his mother, 46-year-old Sherry Johnson, who allegedly helped him flee the area in the taxi she drives. Johnson was arrested and charged with Hindering Apprehension.
Roberts is described as a light skinned black male, 6'5" tall and approximately 250 pounds. Roberts has numerous tattoos on his neck, hands and arms. Warrants have been issued for Roberts arrest for Eluding and Aggravated Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer. Roberts is also facing numerous motor vehicle charges and is wanted on additional warrants by the Atlantic County Sheriff's Department.
Anyone with any information regarding Roberts' whereabouts should contact the Egg Harbor Township Police Department at 609-927-5200, or dial 1-800-658-8477.
new jersey, atlantic county, police, assault, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected 25 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 2 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos