Upper Darby cops fired over 'incident' on video
UPPER DARBY TWP., Pa. - July 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two police officers in Upper Darby Township have been fired for an incident involving juveniles that was apparently captured on video.
In a statement issued Friday morning, Upper Darby Township Mayor Thomas N. Micozzie said he accepted the recommendation from police Superintendent Michael Chitwood that the two be fired.
The officers were identified as 39-year-old Michael Givens, an eight year veteran of the department and 32-year-old Ryan Wiseley, a seven year veteran.
Micozzie said the firings came after "careful review, investigation and consideration of many facts associated with this incident."
However, there has been no official word as to what exactly happened inside the Upper Darby Township Public Safety building on June 15th.
The incident in question apparently happened after three juveniles had been arrested for shoplifting.
A source told Action News back in late June that one of the juveniles was assaulted while handcuffed.
In Friday's statement, Micozzie said the video "will not be released or discussed." Furthermore, Micozzie said he will have no further comment and his staff had been instructed not to comment.
Back in late June, Chitwood also declined to go into more detail about the video, but said when the department probe is finished he will go public.
"When this is done, I will show the video, I will take any questions," Chitwood said at the time.
As for the two fired officers, there was no word on any charges so far. Micozzie said there continues to be an ongoing investigation.
pennsylvania, upper darby, delaware county, police, assault, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed