Mom pleads not guilty in disabled daughter's death
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A southern New Jersey woman has pleaded not guilty to aggravated manslaughter charges stemming from the death of her disabled adult daughter, whose decomposed remains were found in the home they shared.
Janet Wilson of Manchester entered her pleas Monday during a brief court appearance. She was represented by a public defender and remains jailed on $200,000 bail.
Wilson also faces charges of desecrating human remains and neglect of a disabled adult in the death of her 32-year-old daughter, Rebecca Wilson, who authorities say was homebound and dependent on her mother for care.
Ocean County prosecutors say the 53-year-old Wilson was found late last month at a Nevada motel and was returned to New Jersey on Thursday after she waived extradition.
Authorities say Wilson did not report her daughter's death to federal officials and was still getting her daughter's disability checks. They say Wilson had recently transferred $600 from the daughter's bank account to her account.
Rebecca Wilson's body was found in her home May 30 by police responding to reports of a strange odor at the residence. The remains were discovered after officers forced their way inside, and no one else was in the home.
Authorities executed a search warrant at the home the following day, but their investigative efforts were hampered by "the condition of the residence." Further details were not disclosed, but the home was soon declared uninhabitable.
Nearly three weeks after Rebecca Wilson's body was found, authorities traveled to Nevada after learning Janet Wilson was in the Reno area. She was arrested there June 20.
Authorities have not disclosed a cause of death for Rebecca Wilson or when she may have died.
new jersey, ocean county, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ