Freight train derails, rail cars plunge into Brandywine Creek
VALLEY TOWNSHIP, Pa. - July 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Emergency crews were on the scene of a freight train derailment in Chester County.
It happened after 3:00 p.m. Monday on the tracks near the 900 block of Wagon Town Road in Valley Township.
The derailment sent two railcars plunging into the Brandywine Creek. A locomotive also jumped the tracks.
The accident startled neighbors like Michael McCoy.
"I was down working by my car," he said. "I heard the train coming up the tracks. It was going kind of fast. And then next thing you know I hear, 'Boom, boom, boom!' And then I saw all the fire trucks and ambulance."
No passengers were on the train.
Valley Township officials say it was transporting material for ArcerlorMittal, a steel manufacturing company in Coatesville.
The affected line is a branch off the Amtrak line that services the steel plant. Norfolk Sourthern maintains and operates it.
"There will be an investigation into what caused this," said Norfolk Southern's Dave Pidgeon. "I don't have anything I want to share about that. But certainly we are interested in how this happened and if there is anything we can do to prevent something like this in the future."
"Fortunately there were no chemicals on the train and no passengers, so no one was injured," said Westwood Fire Company Battalion Chief John Sly.
This is second mishap involving ArcerlorMittal during the past few months. On May 24th, a bucket containing molten steel exploded in the plant, sending three people to the hospital.
Norfolk Southern is now assessing the best way to get the derailed cars out of the Brandywine Creek.
"The bridge structure appears to be sound and safe, but it has sustained significant track damage," said Pidgeon.
The rail company says at this point neither the Federal Railroad Administration nor the NTSB is investigating.
pennsylvania, train accident, chester county, local/state
- Photos: Pictures of Wawa car theft suspects 4 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout 55 min ago
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester
- Sunoco moving to Delco, Citibank leaving Philly
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor