7 charged with selling drugs at VA hospitals in NJ
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -July 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Federal authorities have arrested seven people in connection with a ring that they say sold heroin, crack cocaine and other illegal drugs at two veteran affairs hospitals in New Jersey.
U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman announced Tuesday that five men were arrested at a VA medical center in Lyons and another was taken into custody at a VA facility in East Orange. One man was arrested at his home.
Fishman says all seven men are veterans. He say they took advantage of their employment and access at the VA medical facilities to sell dangerous drugs to fellow veterans undergoing treatment.
The seven are charged in separate criminal complaints with various counts of distributing controlled substances.
drugs, new jersey, local/state
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 2 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 59 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 14 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com! 56 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
36 min ago