Standoff ends; barricaded man found dead in Lower Pottsgrove
LOWER POTTSGROVE, Pa. - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police standoff in Lower Pottsgrove ended late Wednesday afternoon when a man barricaded inside a home was found dead.
Authorities said the man was not killed by police gunfire.
Word of the resolution came at 5:30 p.m., nearly 6 hours after the incident began at a home in the 1300 block of Lynn Drive.
Police were first called to the home at about 11:45 a.m. Wednesday to assist the Pennsylvania National Guard on a "well-being" check.
The National Guard was at the house to check on a member believed to be AWOL. He hadn't been to work and supervisors couldn't make contact with him.
As police approached the home, one shot was fired. It's unclear if that shot was directed at police. Officers backed off and the S.W.A.T. team was called in.
Police spent much of the afternoon trying to make contact with the man, who had barricaded himself inside.
A series of loud pops was heard at about 5:00 p.m. coming from the home. Action News was told tear gas canisters and a shock grenade were used to try to elicit a response from the man.
Police say when they received no response, they used a robotic device to enter and search the house. It was during that search that the man's body was found.
The confrontation and ensuing standoff Wednesday afternoon prompted a number of evacuations in the area.
The administrative staff at nearby Pottsgrove High School was told to stay indoors. Kids at an event at the Ringing Rocks Elementary School were sent home.
Police also evacuated several neighboring homes. Residents were sheltered at Pottsgrove High School until the incident was over.
pennsylvania news, montgomery county news, shooting, police, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 18 min ago
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
- Obama heading to South Africa 48 min ago
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
54 min ago