Woman, 77, describes attempted rape in her Upland, Pa. home
UPLAND, Pa. - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 77-year-old Delaware County woman is thanking an alert firefighter for chasing off a would-be rapist who burst into her home Tuesday.
Eleanor Hayes spoke to Action News Wednesday night.
"I'm laying there, and I hit the table," she said. "Candy went all over place and he said, 'Take your clothes off. I'm going to rape you.'"
Eleanor Hayes feared for her life after hearing those chilling words, voiced by a man pictured in a sketch released Wednesday by Upland Police.
The man knocked on Hayes' door just after noon Tuesday.
"He said, 'Miss, have you seen a little 4-year-old girl wandering around here?' And I said, 'No, I haven't .' He said, 'Well, she got out on me and wandered. She's my daughter.'"
Hayes gave the man a phone. When he returned it, she said he pulled her front door open and shoved her back inside.
But across the street, the president of the Upland Fire Company, Doug Scott, was watching.
"Soon as I looked at him, something snapped and said, 'Keep an eye on him.' I don't know why," said Scott.
As soon as the suspect attacked, Scott knew he had to act.
"My wife is hollering, 'Get over there!' So I turned around and said, 'Call the cops!'"
"I was afraid because I didn't know what was going to happen," said Martha Scott. "That's why I shoved him out the door. As he was going, I told him to hurry up and run."
"When I got out front, it seemed like an eternity," said Doug. "I really didn't know what to do. So I just ran up to the front and just pounded 3 times on the door as hard as I could."
In exclusive video you can see the suspect from the rear of Eleanor's apartment.
The 77-year-old suffered some bruises, but was largely uninjured. She credits the Scott's for saving her life.
"The scenario of him shoving here in the house keeps going over and over in my mind," said Martha Scott. "We are just glad she's okay."
"He's going to get caught," said Doug Scott. "He will get caught, and my daughter is a correctional officer out at the prison. She's waiting for him."
Police are working to get some fingerprints off of the phone which was discarded not far from the home.
If you recognize the man in the sketch, you are urged to call Upland Police at 610-872-3040.
pennsylvania news, delaware county news, rape, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 32 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- Surveillance expected from Target heist 10 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
32 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
10 min ago