Suspected wedding thief caught on camera may be a serial crasher
LOWER GWYNEDD, Pa. - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have yet to make an arrest in the theft of wedding gifts from the parking lot of the William Penn Inn, but they may be getting closer.
Lower Gwynedd Police got key tips from viewers after surveillance photos appeared last night on Action News and elsewhere.
People recognized the young man believed connected to Sunday's theft of $3,000 - $5,000 worth of wedding cash and checks from a car parked at the William Penn Inn.
Reports of similar wedding crasher thefts have also emerged.
Last week in Lancaster County, a bird cage stuffed with gift envelopes was stolen just hours after Stacey and Frank Havlik said, 'I do,' and departed their reception.
"We got a call from my mom, who said that my bird cage - we had a bird cage with cards and gifts in it - she said the bird cage was missing, and 'Where'd it go?' and they were all in a panic," said Stacey.
Unlike at the William Penn Inn, there were no surveillance cameras at the Lancaster reception. But the description of the suspect is similar: a white male, 20 - 30 years old, short brown hair, khaki cargo shorts and a beard called a chin strap.
"The crime was exactly what happened to us. They just saw someone come in that didn't look right," said Stacey, adding that the thief took only cards and money, not appliances or other gifts.
As for the value of the loss, it's an estimated $2,000 to $3,000.
"It was, like, 29 cards. So it was a lot. It was a full bird cage of envelopes," said Frank Havlik.
"We just hope other brides don't have to deal with situation and lock down their money and their bird cages or whatever they use," said Stacey.
Action News is told authorities are also looking at a third incident that happened in Chester County that may be linked to these thefts.
pennsylvania news, theft, weddings, robbery, montgomery county news, local/state, john rawlins
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 52 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 42 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 27 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 57 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 42 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
52 min ago