Bucks Co. program helps children in need of computers
AUDOBON, Pa. - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- With hundreds of donated computers and dozens of volunteers, an education program in Bucks County is making a big difference in the lives of children in need, this summer.
It's all a part of Team Children's Summer Youth Development Program.
Their warehouse in Audobon is full of activity with volunteers busy four days a week.
They are busy refurbishing shelves of with 1,000 computers, all of which were discarded or donated and are in need of new homes.
"It meant a lot to me, especially to get it at a much more reasonable price," said Arthur Dahn.
Dahn got his computer here two years ago, to help with his graduate studies. It picked up a virus three days ago, and Joe Granese, who does IT, helped him get rid of it.
Michael Wells has six girls at home. Both of his computers have served them well but on Wednesday he bought a third.
It was at a fraction of the price it would have cost to purchase a new one.
"With a large family, you have to budget every dollar so this really works out for us," said Wells.
Robert Toporek, the founder of Team Children, says children and schools that don't have computers are at a major disadvantage so his goal is to narrow the achievement gap.
"It's essential for every family to have a computer at home and that there ought to be two or three computers in every classroom," said Toporek.
Cristina Reyes knows all too well what it's like to teach children without a computer.
At her North Philadelphia school, she used to have flash cards to teach vocabulary to her bilingual kindergarteners
"But with a computer, I'm able to project that and show an entire class," Reyes added.
The volunteers who work with Team Children's Summer Youth Development Program include adults, teenagers and even younger.
For more information visit TeamChildren.com
pennsylvania news, bucks county news, computers, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly 46 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
44 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
46 min ago