Missing teen Shamaine Spruell located; police investigating
PHILADELPHIA - July 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say they have located a missing Philadelphia teenager, and are continuing to investigate the circumstances which led to her disappearance.
Shamaine Spruell, 18, of the 900 block of Carver Street, was reported missing after she disappeared from her home around 11:15 p.m. Wednesday.
While Shamaine is legally an adult, she has special needs, which is why both police and her mother sprung into action trying to find her.
"She's a special needs kid. She looks like she's normal but she's not. She's easily manipulated," said her mother, Shanae.
Shanae said her son saw Shamaine walk from the steps of her Summerdale home on Wednesday night.
Shanae was at a friend's house around the corner and, by the time she got back, Shamaine was gone.
Eventually, there were two phone calls. In one call, Shanae said she could hear weeping before the call dropped.
Then, another call came.
"The last call I got last night is that she was in a room," Shanae said, adding that Shamaine said "It's dark and my clothes [are] off and I can't get out."
Philadelphia Police say her cell phone pinged a tower in Northeast Philadelphia.
Police have not released details about where Shamaine was found or her condition.
philadelphia, missing person, summerdale, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes 47 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos