Sarah Murnaghan to get trachea tube, mom says
PHILADELPHIA - July 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Little Sarah Murnaghan will need another surgery first thing Friday morning.
Her mother, Janet, tells Action News the 10-year-old lung transplant patient will undergo an operation to put in a trachea tube.
That should be more comfortable than the current breathing tube that goes down her nose and throat.
The tube could allow Sarah to speak and eat while on ventilator and move around easier.
In a Facebook post Thursday night, Sarah's mom said, "I know it is the right decision at this point . . . . I am simultaneously heartbroken."
Here is the complete statement from Janet Murnaghan:
Sarah will go into surgery first thing tomorrow morning for a tracheostomy. (A tracheostomy is an opening surgically created through the neck into the trachea (windpipe) to allow direct access to the lungs.)
The trach tube will replace the breathing tube that currently goes down her nose and throat and will be temporary.
Sarah needs a trach because she has been on long term ventilator support and the wean off the support is slow as a result of how sick she was going into transplant, as well as, the setbacks we've had since transplant (pneumonia in one of her lungs).
The tracheostomy tube is a better long-term option: 1. It's more comfortable than the endotracheal tube in the mouth or nose. 2. It will allow Sarah to speak, eat and drink while getting ventilator support. 3. She can get out of bed easier and do more aggressive physical rehab. 4. We, eventually, could go home on ventilator support with a more stable airway like a Trachea.
I am disappointed that she needs a trach, for me it is another hardship Sarah must endure, and I wish things would just sail smoothly along. That being said, I know it is the right decision at this point, I have no doubt in my mind. We've prayed about it a lot and debated the pros and cons. So while I am at peace with the decision I am simultaneously heartbroken.
God Bless you all for the love and support.
pennsylvania news, surgery, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 8 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos