Gloucester Township teacher accused of textual harassment
GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, N.J. - July 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Gloucester Township police are investigating a Timber Creek High School teacher and coach accused of sending inappropriate text messages to former students
34-year-old David Clune was a math teacher at the school for eight years. He was also an assistant baseball coach.
Now, he faces harassment charges for sending 33 text messages to a 17-year-old Timber Creek graduate, who'd been one of his students.
Clune's former student reported the text messages to another teacher from the school.
"The messages were flirtatious in nature and pretty much trying to pique the interest of the two girls and trying to meet up with them in a social nature outside," said Deputy Chief David Harkins.
Though Clune is charged only in connection with the text messages sent to the 17-year-old, police say she wasn't the only one he'd contacted.
Between July 4th and 6th, he Facebook messaged an 18-year-old former student 39 times, trying to set up a meeting with her. So far she declined to press charges.
Deputy Chief Harkins says the messages weren't sexually explicit, but did ask the young women not to tell anyone they'd received them.
The superintendent of the Black Horse Pike Regional School District declined a request for an on-camera interview, but in a letter on the district website, he says the district:
took immediate steps to suspend the employee involved. Furthermore, we directed the employee not to have any further contact with students and staff, and to stay off all school grounds.
Clune, who was arrested at his home in Sicklerville Wednesday night, is married. He was released from custody, but no one answered the door at his house Friday.
A neighbor, whose son had Clune as teacher several years ago, says she finds the charges surprising.
"My son loves him. Every time he comes home he comes by and speaks to him, so we never had problems," said Donna Spencer.
If convicted, Clune could face a maximum of six months in jail and number of fines.
camden county news, new jersey news, teachers, sexual harassment, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 50 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 57 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle 8 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
50 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
57 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
8 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
41 min ago