Large tree falls on primate house at Brandywine Zoo
WILMINGTON, Del. - July 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- More than two dozen animals had to be evacuated after a large tree fell on the Exotic Animal House of the Brandywine Zoo.
Zoo officials say 24 monkeys, one bird and a zoo employee were inside at the time.
There was significant damage to the roof and side of the Exotic Animal House, which houses mostly primates.
Zoo employees scrambled to rescue and capture the animals after the impact. They were taken out one by one in animal carriers and transported to another building at the zoo.
The animals will be temporarily relocated to other zoos in the region.
Fortunately there were no injuries to report, but three small primates are being watched closely.
"We have a gentleman who actually sits at this building," said William Montgomery of the Delaware Zoological Society. "He luckily is okay. No animals injured, I'm sure they're stressed out beyond belief, but no obvious injuries from the tree."
It's unclear if Friday's rainy weather caused the tree to fall. People in the area at the time said there was no significant wind. The tree shows evidence of significant rotting in the trunk.
Officials say a crane will be brought in to hoist the tree off the building. The building will remain closed for some time.
The zoo's website says the zoo itself will remain closed until further notice.
The zoo is located at 1001 North Park Drive in Wilmington.
delaware news, wilmington, animals, local/state
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed 15 min ago
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 54 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 51 min ago