5-year-old New Jersey girl calls 911 to help choking mom
RIDGEWOOD, N.J. - July 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A quick-thinking 5-year-old New Jersey girl calmly dialed 911 when her mother began choking on a chip.
But she thought it was her father who would be saving the day.
"Daddy, mommy's choking," Chloe Olson told the 911 dispatcher Tuesday in the town of Ridgewood, about 20 miles northwest of New York City.
After opening the front door at the dispatcher's request, she ended her call with, "Love you, bye."
Chloe's mom, Kerry Olson, had stopped choking by the time rescue units arrived. But police told WCBS-TV in New York (http://cbsloc.al/11GPW2I) that Chloe may still receive special recognition for her actions.
"You could tell she was a little concerned and scared," said Police Chief John Ward. "She still knew enough to talk to the dispatchers, work it through."
Chloe's parents and 8-year-old sister were greatly impressed.
"She did a great job. I'm very happy," Douglas Olson said.
The Olsons said police and fire officials also deserve credit - for introducing students to a catchy jingle telling them, "When there's big trouble and you're all alone, don't be scared; pick up the phone - and dial 911."
Here's how the call went:
911 dispatcher: "Where's your emergency? ... Hello?"
Chloe: "Daddy? Hello? Daddy, mommy's choking."
Dispatcher: "She's choking?"
Chloe: "Yes, she can't talk right now."
Dispatcher: "OK, she can't talk?"
Dispatcher: "OK, can you open the front door and I'll get help over to you?"
Dispatcher: "Alright, open the front door. I'll be right there."
Chloe: "Love you, bye."
Chloe told WCBS-TV she made the call because she knew it was an emergency.
When she hung up, she told her mother "daddy's on the way," Kerry Olson said.
new jersey news, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos