'Blobfest' turns 55 in Chester County, Pa.
PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's Blob Fest 2013. And in Phoenixville, that means it's time to honor a piece of movie history.
It was an iconic moment in movie history. 55 years later, people are still running.
It's indescribable! Indestructible!
"You cannot kill the Blob. You can only stop it. And you stop it by freezing it in its tracks," said Wes Shank.
Shank owns a piece of movie history: the monster from the iconic 1958 horror film 'The Blob.'
"It's industrial silicone made by Union Carbide at the time," said Shank.
This weekend hundreds of people will come from all over the world to the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, where parts of 'The Blob' were filmed.
"When they show the film and you're watching it and that scene comes on, everyone just goes crazy," said Sandy Ashton of Wynnfield Park, N.J.. "And it's just really exciting to be there."
Charlie Philllips dresses up in his alien costume every year.
"Somebody always helps me get through the door, because last time I almost lost my head," he said.
Action News got an exclusive up-close look at the movie monster Friday night.
It has a distinct smell. It's sticky. And the Blob still moves, even today.
"What's so super scary is this stuff is going to outlive me," said Shank.
And that is enough to send people running, after all these years.
If you want to get in on the Blob Fest fun, there is a street festival right in front of the theater Saturday.
They are showing the movie at 8:00 p.m.
pennsylvania news, local/state, eva pilgrim
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
- Winds Ease Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 21 min ago
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests