'Kill Zimmerman' painted on business before arson in Downingtown
DOWNINGTOWN, Pa. - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Chester County, Pennsylvania are investigating an act of vandalism with racial overtones, possibly connected to the fallout from the verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial.
Photographs obtained by Action News show what firefighters found Sunday night when they responded to a fire at ProSigns, a company that manufactures commercial signs for businesses, in the 200 block of Boot Road.
You can clearly see the words "Kill Zimmerman" painted in red paint on the front wall.
The graffiti was discovered when firefighters arrived to extinguish a blaze around 11:20 p.m. Sunday.
The fire was brought under control quickly and no one was hurt. Considering the graffiti, investigators immediately suspected the blaze was intentionally set.
On Monday, the fire was ruled an arson, fueled by an unknown accelerant.
It was Saturday night when a Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, prompting outrage and protests - mostly peaceful - around the country.
Monday afternoon, investigators returned to the commercial business located in an industrial area of the Chester county community to look for new clues.
Inside, a professional clean-up crew worked to repair smoke and water damage. One law enforcement source put the damage estimate at about a half million dollars.
Law enforcement sources are being extremely tight-lipped as the investigation continues.
We do know that county and local police are involved in the investigation and that so far no arrests have been made.
downingtown, chester county news, pennsylvania news, fire, vandalism, arson, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 54 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 8 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 1 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act