Trenton police open fire on armed man
TRENTON - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Trenton police say they were forced to open fire when a man pointed a gun at them Monday morning.
Eduardo Cruz of Trenton had just gotten home from an evening at church and visiting his mother when shots rang out on the unit block of Hudson Street right in front of his house.
"At first I thought it was a firecracker, but then it was too strong. We hear a gunshot and I didn't dare look out the window," Cruz said.
It was just before midnight that police answered a call of a man firing a gun near a crowd of people on Hudson.
When they arrived and told 25-year-old Keith Day to drop his weapon, he raised it instead and officers opened fire.
Authorities say Day jumped in a car and fled the scene, banging into several other vehicles on his way out.
"I just heard gunshots while I was asleep and I got a car and my uncle and left. I don't want to get shot," Eedonn Brown of Trenton said.
State Police located the suspect's vehicle abandoned on I-195.
Detectives were then notified that Keith Day walked into Lourdes Medical Center in Willingboro for treatment of gunshot wounds.
He's been arrested and moved to an undisclosed hospital.
Crime scene technicians were still going over the scene Monday morning while the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.
Investigators are looking into whether there is any video of the incident from surveillance cameras in the area and neighbors are asking for an end to the gun violence here.
"It's just getting a little hectic out here with all the gunfire," Beth Simon said.
"It's not good. We're trying to raise children around here and it's really disheartening. We want our kids to be safe," Leslie Ellis said.
While police continue their investigation they are asking anyone with information about this incident to contact them immediately.
new jersey news, trenton, shooting, police, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 7 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 34 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 28 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 26 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 46 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
28 min ago