Trenton police open fire on armed man
TRENTON - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Trenton police say they were forced to open fire when a man pointed a gun at them Monday morning.
Eduardo Cruz of Trenton had just gotten home from an evening at church and visiting his mother when shots rang out on the unit block of Hudson Street right in front of his house.
"At first I thought it was a firecracker, but then it was too strong. We hear a gunshot and I didn't dare look out the window," Cruz said.
It was just before midnight that police answered a call of a man firing a gun near a crowd of people on Hudson.
When they arrived and told 25-year-old Keith Day to drop his weapon, he raised it instead and officers opened fire.
Authorities say Day jumped in a car and fled the scene, banging into several other vehicles on his way out.
"I just heard gunshots while I was asleep and I got a car and my uncle and left. I don't want to get shot," Eedonn Brown of Trenton said.
State Police located the suspect's vehicle abandoned on I-195.
Detectives were then notified that Keith Day walked into Lourdes Medical Center in Willingboro for treatment of gunshot wounds.
He's been arrested and moved to an undisclosed hospital.
Crime scene technicians were still going over the scene Monday morning while the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.
Investigators are looking into whether there is any video of the incident from surveillance cameras in the area and neighbors are asking for an end to the gun violence here.
"It's just getting a little hectic out here with all the gunfire," Beth Simon said.
"It's not good. We're trying to raise children around here and it's really disheartening. We want our kids to be safe," Leslie Ellis said.
While police continue their investigation they are asking anyone with information about this incident to contact them immediately.
new jersey news, trenton, shooting, police, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed