Radnor police warn parents of Omegle website
RADNOR, Pa. - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The website is called Omegle. Its headline touts "Talk to strangers!" But Radnor police warn that it's simply a trolling site for pedophiles and perverts.
"When the detective and myself were on this website, with an exception of maybe two, the individuals were already exposing themselves when they went on this website," Radnor Police Superintendent William Colarulo said.
Colarulo and his detective provided a demonstration Monday afternoon.
They logged onto the website posing as a 15-year-old girl; within a couple of minutes, older men were requesting photos and the conversation turned sexual.
"You can see how easy it is for a child to get in trouble. A 29-year-old male is chatting with what he believes is a 15-year-old female. It took us, what, three tries to get a hold of a pedophile on this site," Colarulo said.
Radnor police learned about Omegle a month ago when the parents of a 12-year-old child went to them after the child was lured into sending sexual photographs over the website.
Police are now in the early stages of that investigation and working to find the pedophile.
Authorities want parents aware of Omegle and its dangers.
"If you had a 15-year-old daughter, how would you feel if your daughter was talking to someone like this? He is obviously on the internet looking to have sex with a child," Colarulo said.
Police are now working with the township's recreation department and the school district to get the word out and inform students and parents about the dangers.
pennsylvania news, delaware county news, local/state, chad pradelli
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower