Bullet fired into Crozer Chester Medical Center, hitting patient
UPLAND, Pa. - July 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials at Crozer Chester Medical Center are investigating an incident in which a bullet fired from outside the hospital late Monday night struck a patient in the abdomen.
Investigators were out scouring nearby neighborhoods Tuesday looking for anyone who might have heard the gunshots. They say the bullet could have come from as far as a mile away.
"It's crazy. Doesn't make any sense. People are stupid," said Walt Mack.
Other patients at the hospital were floored by the news Tuesday morning.
A 62- year-old woman was sitting up in her hospital bed on the first floor around 11:45 p.m. Monday when a bullet came crashing through the window.
"She heard a popping sound, then reached down to her side, her abdominal area, where she noticed she was in pain and had blood coming out of that area," said Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan.
The victim immediately pressed her call button and hospital staff rushed her into surgery. Fortunately, the bullet left only superficial wounds.
Police believe it came from an area to the west of the hospital.
They are checking out all reports of gunfire Monday night, and they're hoping to pinpoint a neighborhood.
"There are certain neighborhoods that are in close proximity to this hospital that have a high rate of crime and a high incidence of drug activity," said Whelan.
Investigators believe this was a fluke incident. They don't believe anyone was intentionally shooting at the hospital.
The D.A. says it remains a safe environment despite what happened here Monday night.
"All of my children were born in this particular hospital. I wouldn't hestitate to come to this particular hospital at any point in time. I think if you come to this hospital, you are safe," said Whelan.
This is the first time anyone can remember something like this happening at the hospital.
Investigators have a lot of ground to cover before they know exactly where that bullet came from.
delaware county news, pennsylvania news, shooting, hospitals, local/state
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville 26 min ago
- Brisk And Cold 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 14 min ago
- Suspects caught on camera prior to car theft
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large 15 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 19 min ago
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Brisk And Cold
12 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
19 min ago