A/C repairman in high demand during heat wave
MT. LAUREL, N.J. - July 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- This time of year, Steve Eory is a popular guy and people are happy to see him. He's an air conditioning technician with Cherry Hill-based Hutchinson and he's been a busy man this week.
"Most people are happy to see us. Some are a little irritated, but once we do our job and get them up and running they're usually happy," Eory said.
We followed Steve to a call in Mt. Laurel where the upstairs air conditioning in the Vaughn house decided to quit.
"It has been very hot especially now with the heat wave, going upstairs it's unbearable," Janet Vaughn said.
Steve pulled apart the air conditioning unit to diagnose the problem and saw almost immediately what was wrong.
"The evaporator start to free, lack of airflow, you have ice that forms. As that melts, the airflow will return and the air conditioner should be fine," Eory said.
Refrigerant leaks. Electrical components. Airflow issues. There are any number of things that can go wrong with your air conditioning system. It's bad news at anytime during the summer, but particularly during a heat wave.
"Systems run pretty much 24/7 when it gets as hot as it is right now. They run hard and you'll find breakdowns on the hottest days of the year," Eory said.
Luckily, the Vaughn's problem wasn't difficult to fix which was good news for the Mt. Laurel family.
"It's amazing. I'm really happy; I'll be able to sleep really well tonight," Janet Vaughn said.
But like most air conditioning repairmen this week, Steve's day wasn't over. He has many more calls to make as the cooling units so many depend on break down - always at the worst time, of course!
new jersey news, burlington county news, heat wave, local/state, nora muchanic
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 1 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot in Wilmington 35 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton 23 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition