4 adults, 6 children injured in Atlantic City Expressway crash
WINSLOW TWP., N.J. - July 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- A violent crash resulting in numerous injuries shut down the westbound Atlantic City Expressway in Camden County on Wednesday night.
Chopper 6 HD was overhead as paramedics rushed to treat and transport four adults and six children after their van flipped on the Atlantic City Expressway in Winslow Township.
"It was horror. It was just horror, because we knew that this was something really serious," said Mary Campbell of Cherry Hill.
Campbell was one of the first people on the scene between exits 38 and 41 on the westbound side around 8:00 p.m.
Five small children, two boys and three girls, were thrown from the van.
The female driver was found unconscious inside.
"We didn't even know if she was even alive," said Campbell. "I had a sheet and towels and we were basically stopping people on the expressway to ask if they had bottles of water so we could clean these babies."
Some of the victims were flown to Cooper University Hospital while others were taken by ground.
New Jersey State Police say they were all alert and awake by the time they were transported.
One adult and one child were admitted to Cooper in critical condition.
Seven others are listed in stable condition, and one person was treated for minor injuries and released.
Traffic caught behind the accident was backed up to Williamstown Road, where troopers detoured other vehicles coming up the expressway.
Campbell, who was coming from the shore, says she was thankful she was in the right place at the right time to help the young victims.
"You don't feel, you just know that you have to do," she said.
new jersey news, camden county news, accident, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 56 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show 17 min ago
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
56 min ago