Suspect arrested in Fayetteville teen's death
FAYETTEVILLE -- Police have arrested a suspect in the murder of a Fayetteville teenager who was shot early Thursday morning in Fayetteville.
The shooting happened around 12:30 a.m. during a party at the Reserve at Carrington Place apartment complex in the 4200 block of Tatum Drive near Reilly Road.
Authorities said several people were at a pool party at the complex when some of them got into an argument.
During the altercation, police said 23-year-old Tabari Ali Hashim shot 16-year-old Ashton Foxx, who was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where police say he later died.
Police say Hashim was arrested at his home around 9:30 p.m. Thursday.
Meanwhile, friends and classmates and teammates have tried to comfort each other.
"He was cool with everybody. Who wouldn't like Ashton?" asked Foxx's friend, Kevin Anderson.
Foxx was a Westover basketball standout.
In an email statement, Westover basketball coach George Stackhouse said "I feel blessed to have known and coached Ashton. His personality was infectious. He was honest, loyal and thoughtful. He was liked by those who knew him and loved by us that knew him well. He was like a son to me and a brother to his teammates. We will miss him dearly."
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call detectives with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 433-1856 or Crimestoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
cumberland county, shooting, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man