'Kai the Hitchhiker' suffers self-inflicted wounds in New Jersey jail
ELIZABETH, N.J. - July 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man who became known online as Kai, the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker, is recovering from self-inflicted wounds.
Caleb McGillivary was rushed from the Union County jail in New Jersey to a hospital with self-inflicted, non-life threatening injuries on Wednesday.
Union County spokesman Sebastian D'Elia tells The Star-Ledger of Newark the 24-year-old was later taken to another health care facility and is under guard.
D'Elia, citing privacy issues, declined to give details about the injuries.
The Canadian is held on $3 million bail, charged in the May 12 beating of 73-year-old lawyer Joseph Galfy Jr. of Clark.
McGillivary gained a measure of online fame in February after intervening in an attack on a California utility worker in which he described using a hatchet to fend off a further attack.
Information from: The (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger
new jersey news, homicide, local/state
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila. 29 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 1 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash