Two sought in Maple Shade motel hold-up
MAPLE SHADE, N.J. - July 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Surveillance cameras captured a motel hold-up Maple Shade, Burlington County and police are looking for the two suspects.
The surveillance video shows the lobby of the Crossland Economy Studios Motel along Route 73 in Maple Shade.
A young woman seen in the video was alone Wednesday night when two men stormed in and jumped over the front desk.
One had a gun. They took cash from the register, but it apparently wasn't enough.
For three minutes they tried to break into a safe. Both suspects took turns as the motel clerk sat by terrified.
"There wasn't much in the way of verbal discourse," said Maple Shade Police Lieutenant Jeffrey Hoch. "In fact, she didn't remember what they exactly said, other than something to the effect, 'Hand it over!'"
Maple Shade Police are now working with their partners in law enforcement around the region to see if other motels have been robbed and if there may be a pattern.
The video is their most important piece of evidence. The crooks did little to hide their identities. Fortunately, the clerk was uninjured.
"They took $200," said Hoch. They took the clerk "into the backroom and took her cell phone and fled the scene."
We did speak to the manager. He said the motel has now hired a security guard for the late night hours.
Police want people to take a close look at the suspects because they have very little to go on.
Anyone recognizing them is asked to contact 856-234-8300 and reference case 2013-10741.
new jersey news, burlington county news, robbery, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from Colorado high school shooting 37 min ago
- 2-alarm house fire in Blackwood, NJ 33 min ago
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 28 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million