2 high school football players killed in Western Pennsylvania crash
SHARON, Pa. (AP) - November 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A high school football player preparing for a playoff game lost control of his sports utility vehicle, leading to a head-on collision that left him, a teammate and the driver of the other car dead, and two of their teammates injured.
Sharon Police Chief Michael J. Menster said in a news release that Sharon High School player Corey Swartz, 18, was driving with three teammates when he crossed the median on a highway in Sharon and hit a truck head-on.
Also killed were Swartz's passenger, Evan Gill, 17, of Sharon, and the pickup driver, John Zdelar Jr., 50, of Brookfield, Ohio.
The Sharon City School District's acting superintendent, Michael Calla, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that speed may have been a factor. Sharon police said that investigators do not suspect that alcohol, drugs or texting were a factor in the crash.
"They feel that speed was probably a factor and the car that Corey was driving, he lost control and he may have overcompensated and ended up in the lane with the other vehicle," Calla told the paper.
Swartz and the other players had been watching another playoff game before the wreck occurred at about 10 p.m. on Friday. Twin brothers Craig and Greg Osmon, 17, of Sharon, were injured and required surgery, Menster's release said.
Zdelar's passenger Evan Wallace, 10, was taken to a Pittsburgh hospital. His other passenger, Blake Yenderak, 12, was released after getting medical treatment, police said.
Police and the Mercer County coroner did not return messages seeking comment.
Calla told the paper the players were senior leaders on the team and in the school, which has about 860 students in grades 7-12.
"It'll be a loss felt for a long, long time in Sharon," he told the Post-Gazette.
The playoff game that had been scheduled for Saturday in Erie against Girard High School was postponed until Monday. Calla said the school plans to consult the families about whether or how the school might memorialize Swartz and Gill.
accident, students, pennsylvania news, local/state
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 8 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 56 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape