Sheriff: Man tried to buy child for sex
FAYETTEVILLE -- The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said Friday it has arrested a local businessman and charged him with attempting to arrange a meeting, for the purpose of having sex with an autistic child.
Forty-seven-year-old William Jerry Faulkner, Jr. of Red Oak Drive, Hope Mills is the manager of Taylor's Linden Mini-Storage in the town of Linden and is a retired military intelligence soldier.
Detectives said they found an illegal posting on Craigslist.com advertising for a single mother, who had a special needs child that he could have in exchange for compensation. Deputies said Faulkner intended to use the child for inappropriate sexual behavior.
Deputies said Faulkner is the first in North Carolina to be charged under the new "Shaniya's Law," the unlawful sale, surrender, or purchase of a minor. He is also faces charges of indecent liberties with a child.
He is being held in the Cumberland County Detention Centerl under $75,000 bond.
cumberland county, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens to distant waters 14 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 20 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 1 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos