Sheriff: Man tried to buy child for sex
FAYETTEVILLE -- The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said Friday it has arrested a local businessman and charged him with attempting to arrange a meeting, for the purpose of having sex with an autistic child.
Forty-seven-year-old William Jerry Faulkner, Jr. of Red Oak Drive, Hope Mills is the manager of Taylor's Linden Mini-Storage in the town of Linden and is a retired military intelligence soldier.
Detectives said they found an illegal posting on Craigslist.com advertising for a single mother, who had a special needs child that he could have in exchange for compensation. Deputies said Faulkner intended to use the child for inappropriate sexual behavior.
Deputies said Faulkner is the first in North Carolina to be charged under the new "Shaniya's Law," the unlawful sale, surrender, or purchase of a minor. He is also faces charges of indecent liberties with a child.
He is being held in the Cumberland County Detention Centerl under $75,000 bond.
cumberland county, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 5 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 11 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 10 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th 58 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 17 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos