Man drowns in Schuylkill River in Berks County
READING, Pa. - July 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man drowned Friday in the Schuylkill River in Berks County.
It happened in Reading.
Witnesses say he was swimming near Blair Avenue and Montgomery Street around 5:00 p.m. when he went under.
He wasn't found for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Rescuers had to climb down a steep embankment to pull him out of the water.
Medics performed CPR and rushed him to the trauma center at Reading Hospital.
He was pronounced dead a short time later.
pennsylvania news, drowning, berks county news, reading, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)