Man drowns in Schuylkill River in Berks County
READING, Pa. - July 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man drowned Friday in the Schuylkill River in Berks County.
It happened in Reading.
Witnesses say he was swimming near Blair Avenue and Montgomery Street around 5:00 p.m. when he went under.
He wasn't found for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Rescuers had to climb down a steep embankment to pull him out of the water.
Medics performed CPR and rushed him to the trauma center at Reading Hospital.
He was pronounced dead a short time later.
pennsylvania news, drowning, berks county news, reading, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police