Man drowns in Schuylkill River in Berks County
READING, Pa. - July 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man drowned Friday in the Schuylkill River in Berks County.
It happened in Reading.
Witnesses say he was swimming near Blair Avenue and Montgomery Street around 5:00 p.m. when he went under.
He wasn't found for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Rescuers had to climb down a steep embankment to pull him out of the water.
Medics performed CPR and rushed him to the trauma center at Reading Hospital.
He was pronounced dead a short time later.
pennsylvania news, drowning, berks county news, reading, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ