Lamborghini, Bentley stolen from East Falls found
PHILADELPHIA - July 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two luxury cars, worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, have been recovered after being stolen early Tuesday morning.
Philadelphia Police say two men broke into an apartment along the 5400 block of Wissahickon Avenue in East Falls around 1:00 a.m. and stole the key fobs to a 2006 Lamborghini and a 2006 black Bentley.
But, it wasn't long before the cars were found.
Police recovered the yellow Lamborghini Gallardo, with a "Batman" logo on the back, in the 400 block of West Upsal Street in the West Mount Airy section of the city just before 7:00 a.m.
The 2006 Bentley Continental Flying Spur was found around 9:30 a.m. in the 500 block of West Abottsford Avenue in Germantown
The suspect or suspects behind the theft, however, are still at large.
Police say they received a call from the victim telling them he believe someone may have broken into his apartment through a second floor window.
Two large-screen televisions, a computer and close to $1,500 in cash were also stolen before the suspect or suspects drove off in the luxury cars.
Police believe the thieves had been shadowing the well-to-do car owner for some time.
"It appears this particular owner has been targeted, or someone has been keeping an eye on him, just due to the fact that these cars are so unique, easily identifiable and high-end," said Chief Inspector Scott Small of the Philadelphia Police.
Sources tell Action News that police are not releasing surveillance video from the garage because they have a good lead on who the culprits might be.
"There are large metal garage doors and both cars were driven from the garage. I don't know how, if they used a code, but that's what detectives are looking in to," said Small.
The victim told police the total value of both cars was in excess of $200,000, and that another car was broken into earlier in the day, but nothing was stolen.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through PhillyPolice.com.
theft, philadelphia, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
28 min ago