7-hour power outage at Center City apartment building
CENTER CITY - July 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Days into the fourth heat wave of the year, residents of a Center City apartment building were left without power for more than seven hours.
A PECO spokesperson says this was all thanks to a problem with an underground cable that impacted the building and dozens of other customers in the area.
Just before noon Saturday and the hottest part of the day - 257 Apartments at 16th and Spruce streets in Center City lost power.
"I think from a safety point of view we're basically being driven out of our houses," said Melodie Kahr.
One of the owners of the 60 unit, 17 floor building says around 10:30 a.m. some type of power surge happened in the basement setting off the fire alarm.
PECO cut the power to the majority of the building with a few apartments still getting some of that precious and much needed electricity.
"My concern is just getting an ETA to be able to inform our residents. We have residents of all ages, shapes and sizes so we need to keep them informed with this kind of heat," said Ben Weinraub, owner.
Weinraub spent every half hour calling PECO to get crews to come out and fix the problem and by 4:00 p.m., they were on the scene.
Several residents were carrying in ice and doing everything they could to keep themselves and their pets cool.
Fortunately for residents, PECO crews were able to return power to the building shortly before 6:00 p.m.
pennsylvania news, center city, power outage, local/state
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- London theater partially collapses during performance 1 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 8 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos