'Justice for Trayvon' rallies held in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - July 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- A passionate crowd of people filled the area of 6th and Markets streets outside of the Federal Courthouse to stand as one seeking justice for Trayvon Martin.
The unarmed 17-year-old boy from Florida was shot and killed in 2012 by George Zimmerman, a man who claimed self-defense and was acquitted of 2nd degree murder one week ago.
"Now I have to have that conversation that no black woman wants to have with her son. How you walk down the street, how to respond when someone's watching you," said Terri Campbell.
Lamont Anderson of South Philadelphia says people are too quick to pull the trigger...
"My son was killed 5 years ago. Thank God the 17th district cops caught my son's killers," said Anderson.
Karen Belinsky is hoping the Trayvon Martin case teaches her daughter a life lesson.
"I want my daughter to understand that this young man could've been my son. Anytime things happen to people, it's our son, it's our problem, we have to address it," said Belinsky.
The event here in Philadelphia was part of a national event of 100 rallies in 100 cities, all to stand up in support of Trayvon Martin.
Additionally, in North Philadelphia, people attended a rally at Bright Hope Baptist Church.
An attentive audience listened to motivational words by representatives from the NAACP.
"I know you're going to take this horrible, horrible outcome, horrible, horrible verdict and use it to turn it around and build a new youth movement around the loss of Trayvon Martin," said Jerome Mondesire, NAACP.
Mondesire hopes he can inspire our younger generations to get involved and make a difference.
philadelphia, protest, trayvon martin, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 41 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 8 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 6 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 7 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
41 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
25 min ago