Lightning, pop up storms damper evening plans
PHILADELPHIA - July 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Pop up thunderstorms across the area brought lightning and rain - delaying and cancelling some Saturday night plans.
From the ground to the sky in Fairmount Park it was quite a light show.
If it was blinking, shining or glowing - it was in here Saturday night where colorfully lit up runners filled Belmont Plateau all for fun and charity.
"Listen baby we are in Philadelphia, red, white and blue - we gotta go big come on," said Marc Garabedian.
Thousands suited up using glow sticks, LEDs and whatever else they could find to make them stand out for the Electric Run.
It was a nighttime 5k run and walk through an electric wonderland course.
It's been done in several other major cities but it was the first for Philadelphia with a portion of the proceeds going to 'Variety,' a children's charity.
"Oh this is a fantastic event. We're raising awareness, we're raising money got a good night out of it," said John Forti.
Well almost a good night. Storms had people looking up and organizers taking precautions.
They were forced to stop the run and cancel the rest of the Electric Run.
"I say it's a good idea man. Safety first as always," said Ryan Faherty.
As masses of decoratively lit up runners made a mad dash to their vehicles, down in South Philadelphia at the Taylor Swift concert, the music was put on hold for at least an hour at Lincoln Financial Field.
Our own Karen Rogers sent in video of people sheltering in place.
"I've been waiting for this day for like six months and I'm still waiting," said one fan.
Shortly afterwards young fans of the pop star were told by announcement that the concert was back on.
Despite all the wild weather, authorities say fortunately there have been no related injuries.
philadelphia, severe weather, lightning, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 32 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ