Mayor Nutter issues statement on child found in Cobbs Creek pool
PHILADELPHIA - July 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter offered his condolences Sunday morning to the family of the 7-year-old boy who died after being found in the Cobbs Creek rec center pool.
In the following statement, the mayor said the city will continue to support Jabriel Connor's family, the camp staff, and all of those affected by the tragedy:
"It is with the deepest sadness that I am reporting that Jabriel O'Connor passed away yesterday. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jabriel's parents, family, friends, and all of the young people present at the Cobb's Creek Recreation Center on Thursday as they grieve. The City will continue to provide support services to Jabriel's family, the camp staff, City employees and community members affected by this tragedy. It is my hope that they can find strength and comfort from the support of their loved ones and the entire Philadelphia community at this difficult time."
The boy was taking part in a summer camp at the center on Thursday when he was found motionless under the water by a camp counselor.
He was taken to Children's Hospital where he died Saturday.
philadelphia, drowning, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Fire crews battle house fire in Montgomery...
47 min ago