2 children, 1 malnourished, removed from North Philadelphia home
PHILADELPHIA - July 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police raided a home in North Philadelphia Sunday night and took two children to the hospital following reports of child neglect.
Investigators got a tip Sunday morning that there were two children inside of a home in the 1500 block of West York Street who may not be healthy.
The Department of Human Services and police found a 3-year-old boy and his 1-year old-sister inside. The 1-year-old weighed only 13 pounds.
Police questioned the 29-year-old mother and 28-year-old father while the children were evaluated at Saint Christopher's Hospital for Children.
Sources say the 1-year-old was dehydrated and had lesions all over her body. The 3-year-old was hospitalized for observation .
Detectives with the Special Victim's Unit removed evidence from the home, but sources tell Action News they also found dirty diapers, animal feces and no air conditioning. Detectives wore protective gear during their investigation.
Neighbors say the parents kept to themselves, and have been living there for four years.
"I don't know what goes on inside the home. I saw them about but I never saw the children," said one neighbor.
Another neighbor and a relative of the family say the man and woman are good parents with jobs to feed their son and daughter.
They say the 1-yea-old was born three months premature and had to be fed through a tube at one point. She was seen by visiting nurses during that time.
The man and woman were released late Sunday night, but refused to answer questions.
Charges are pending and no names have been released.
children, philadelphia, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 46 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos