2 arrested, 1 at large after officer-involved shooting in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are sorting out the details of an officer-involved shooting in North Philadelphia overnight.
"It was just unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was hearing or seeing."
A North Philadelphia woman, who wished to remain unnamed, described the barrage of gunfire she heard overnight near the 1800 block of North Bucknell Street. Her car windows were shot out, and this morning yellow evidence markers remain as a sign of the overnight chaos.
The woman tells us, "It was terrifying because I didn't know if the bullets were going to come inside. Then I was trying to stay in an area where I would be safe. But just the sound, being so close. It was really scary."
Officials say it was around 12:30 a.m. when four police officers were on patrol in an unmarked vehicle when they came across a gun battle that was already in progress.
Officers allegedly ordered the men to drop their weapons, but the men refused and kept shooting. That is when the officers were forced to open fire.
A witness recounts what she heard, saying, "I was hearing the police officers saying to whoever or whatever, to, 'Stop, stop. Put it down. Stop.'"
One of the gunman managed to escape in a car, which was later found dumped nearby on the 2500 block of Page Street. A bullet hole was in the vehicle, and investigators recovered two guns.
A second suspect was hit by a bullet and taken to the hospital, where he was treated and then released into police custody. A third suspect was also taken into custody.
The shootout took place just feet from a sign denoting this corner as a gun-free zone.
Michael Mulhern of North Philadelphia tells Action News, "Young bucks around here they just don't care anymore. You know what I mean? They don't have respect."
Police are still trying to determine if the suspect was injured by officers or one of the other suspects.
No officers were hurt in the exchange.
north philadelphia, philadelphia, shooting, police, guns, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 12 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 7 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 32 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 17 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
12 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
32 min ago