1 dead, 1 injured in shootout with police in East Mount Airy
EAST MOUNT AIRY - July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a shootout involving police in the East Mount Airy section of Philadelphia.
"It was very frightening, a horrendous experience."
Debra Haines was surrounded by all the gunfire and chaos just after 1:00 p.m. Monday at the corner of Musgrave and Montana.
She had just pulled up to the corner in her car, but was suddenly trapped inside during the shootout involving the FBI, the police and two murder suspects: stepbrothers Justin Mackie and Tevin Hammond, known to police as armed and dangerous.
"There was a lot of shooting. And there were a lot of FBI agents and then police. And then they had rifles, then they were shooting around this house," said Haines.
"There were a lot of shots fired. We have a lot of shell casings. They both had guns, they both shot, our guys shot," said Philadelphia Chief Inspector Dennis Wilson.
Police and the FBI had closed in on Mackie and Hammond in the 6600 block of Musgrave in one of two houses.
They were wanted, police say, for multiple murders and the shooting of a cab driver on East Hortter Street back in early June.
Police say the pair tried to flee out of a back door into the alleyway. A shootout ensued. One suspect was killed. The other was hit 5 times. He's in critical condition at Einstein Medical Center.
"It's very tight back there. They both were shooting and police returned fire, as did the FBI," said Wilson.
There were no injuries to police or FBI agents.
philadelphia, east mount airy, shooting, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man