Retailer Smak Parlour puts its clothing on wheels
PHILADELPHIA - July 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Some businesses are in a store and you go to them. Others come to you. One hip clothing retailer in Old City does some of both.
Smak Parlour has been on Market Street near 2nd for years. But recently, owners Abby Keffler and Katie Lubieski decided to do something extra.
Intrigued by a trend in Los Angeles, they outfitted a box truck as a mobile women's wear boutique.
It has the same "fee" as the retail store. Prices are, if anything, a little less than at the store. And the truck can go virtually anywhere.
As a practical matter, city ordinances require the owners to get a new license for every location they choose.
They're approved to do retail from the truck in University City on 40th Street near Locust Walk.
Other locations are under consideration, and they hope to take the truck to the Jersey Shore sometime soon.
Inventory policy at Smak Parlour is simple. If the partners like it, they sell it. If they don't, no amount of trendiness will make them stock something. But over the years, they've hit a responsive chord with clientele who like their look and the prices.
The truck feels like a miniature version of the store, complete with French doors and a dressing room. A graphic artist did a vehicle wrap to give the truck just the right look.
The owners like how it's going and envisions outfitting a second truck some day...perhaps something more eclectic than the first.
The retail store is located at 219 Market Street in Old City, open seven days a week from lunchtime on. You may phone them there at 215-625-4551.
They're online at Smak Parlour, where you access a schedule for the truck. You're also welcome to suggest locations it might visit.
fashion, philadelphia, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Flames spread through house in Egg Harbor 43 min ago
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th 30 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Video: Boy gets stuck in claw arcade game 59 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Flames spread through house in Egg Harbor
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos