Remembering mom and sons killed on Roosevelt Boulevard
OLNEY - July 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- It was not the gathering the family of Saa-sean Williams would have ever expected for his birthday.
On Tuesday the little boy would have been two years old. A week ago Saa-sean, his mother, Samara Banks, and his two brothers were struck and killed on Roosevelt Boulevard near 2nd Street.
"He had a long long life ahead of him, but apparently God wanted him and the boys and Samara," said the boy's father, Sean Williams.
Near the same spot where police say a street racer ran down the mother and her boys, family and friends hugged each other and brought birthday balloons in honor of Saa-sean.
"Saa-sean was a quiet happy silly little boy," said his grandmother, Donna Day.
Since the tragedy, local social and auto clubs have been on the boulevard collecting donations for funeral arrangements and for a trust to benefit Banks' surviving 5-year-old son, Saa-yon Griffin, who is still recovering from his injuries.
"I can't imagine waking up at that age and your mom not being there and your siblings not being there," said Arvella Love of North Philadelphia. "So this is a child that has to survive with the support of the remaining family. And the community has decided, in a way, to adopt this child."
People signed a petition asking the city to make this stretch safer for pedestrians.
Moments later, Saa-sean's family, including his father, sang 'Happy Birthday' to him and released those balloons into the air.
"I just want to say, 'Happy Birthday' to my baby boy, Saa-sean Williams," said his dad. "And he will be greatly missed and always in my heart.'
philadelphia, accident, olney, pedestrian struck, child death, local/state, kenneth moton
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk 19 min ago
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 20 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)