Man stabs ex-girlfriend outside Powelton daycare, police say
POWELTON - July 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is in critical condition after being stabbed in front of a Philadelphia daycare center and her suspected attacker is now in police custody.
The incident occurred at 31st and Spring Garden streets in Powelton.
Around 1:00 p.m. Wednesday, the suspect and his ex-girlfriend left a drug recovery program about a block away from the scene.
As the two approached The Caring Center, police say the suspect pinned the woman against the front door and repeatedly stabbed her in the chest and stomach.
"He obviously looked like he was angry. She was cowering and crying, saying 'no, no, no.' So I stopped the car, honked the horn, jumped out, ran across the street, and saw that he was hitting her. Then I saw she had red marks on her white t-shirt," witness Terry Bosworth said.
The suspect fled on foot down Spring Garden towards the Art Museum. Though he tried to ditch the knife, police say they have recovered weapon.
The suspect was apprehended a short time later with the help of witnesses, police say.
The 26-year-old victim was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
No children were affected in this incident.
philadelphia, stabbing, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police