Man stabs ex-girlfriend outside Powelton daycare, police say
POWELTON - July 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is in critical condition after being stabbed in front of a Philadelphia daycare center and her suspected attacker is now in police custody.
The incident occurred at 31st and Spring Garden streets in Powelton.
Around 1:00 p.m. Wednesday, the suspect and his ex-girlfriend left a drug recovery program about a block away from the scene.
As the two approached The Caring Center, police say the suspect pinned the woman against the front door and repeatedly stabbed her in the chest and stomach.
"He obviously looked like he was angry. She was cowering and crying, saying 'no, no, no.' So I stopped the car, honked the horn, jumped out, ran across the street, and saw that he was hitting her. Then I saw she had red marks on her white t-shirt," witness Terry Bosworth said.
The suspect fled on foot down Spring Garden towards the Art Museum. Though he tried to ditch the knife, police say they have recovered weapon.
The suspect was apprehended a short time later with the help of witnesses, police say.
The 26-year-old victim was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
No children were affected in this incident.
philadelphia, stabbing, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 10 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville 5 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 12 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 14 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall 38 min ago
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier