1 dead after SUV hits tree in crash on I-495 in Claymont
CLAYMONT, Del. - July 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Claymont, Delaware are investigating a crash that claimed a person's life Wednesday evening.
Police say it was around 6:30 p.m. when a Chevrolet Blazer collided with a Mazda 626 along southbound I-495, sending both vehicles off the roadway.
The Blazer struck a tree, trapping and severely injuring the driver. That person, identified as 51-year-old Allan Cunha of Elkton, Maryland, later died from his injuries.
The driver of the Mazda, 22-year-old Maurice Dawkins of Townsend, Delaware, was not injured in the collision.
The accident remains under investigation.
delaware news, accident, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos