6 dolphins die along Jersey shore in week
SHIP BOTTOM, N.J. (AP) - July 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials are trying to determine if the deaths of six dolphins along the New Jersey shore in one week are linked to commercial fishing.
The first washed up on Long Beach Township on July 18. Two were found in Holgate and Barnegat Light on Monday. Two more turned up on Wednesday in Holgate and Ocean City. The last was found in Ship Bottom on Thursday.
Bob Schoelkopf of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center tells The Press of Atlantic City one dolphin had a knife wound running from its neck down its stomach. Two others showed signs of being ensnared in a fishing net.
Officials are awaiting results of necropsies.
jersey shore news, new jersey news, local/state
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 53 min ago
- Police: Shooting at illegal after-hours bar in Trenton turns... 2 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
53 min ago
- Police: Shooting at illegal after-hours bar...
2 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos